Glacier National Park is always beautiful. We’re staying in Apgar Campground, on Lake McDonald, as we did last year when we were here with Ally waiting for the Going to the Sun Road to open. It never did and we had to go on our way. We’re about a month later in arriving here this year than last and the road has just opened. Wish Ally were with us.
We like Apgar. It’s an easy walk to the village where there are shops, a restaurant (we never use), and an ice cream stand (we have been known to use). Mostly, we take the dogs there for an outing and often just sit and enjoy the view over Lake McDonald. Time to chill.
There’s a beautiful bike trail here but it doesn’t go far and that’s a bit frustrating for me. I get bored going up and back and up and back. I miss my Teton bike trail. Nothing can compare to that one.
My ride does take me back through the village where this evening there was a horn concert. Now, that’s one big horn to carry around with you. You know what these horns are called, don't you? Look carefully...there's a clue!
We’ve come here to connect with an ole (never use old) high school buddy of mine who has come here from Virginia, my stomping ground as a kid. We were hoping that his wife, Judy, would be along but she says flying is a pain and doesn’t want to ride across country this year with Craig, his dog, Shadow, and his Casita trailer. His daughter, Cory, her husband, Bud, and Craig and Judy’s two very cute grandsons, Ryan and Cole, are here. Craig and I had some grand times together back in the good ole days. We manage to get together every 10 years or so it seems. We never change. It’s a miracle!
A couple of his college summers were spent here in Glacier National Park driving the “Red Bus” tour buses. These buses were built in the 30’s by Ford Motor Company. The drivers were known as “Jammers” as they had to jam the gears into place to control the speed on the Going to the Sun Road. As time passed they were retrofitted with good brakes (a very good thing). It’s always fun to take a “Red Bus” tour of the Going to the Sun Road. It’s a much better thing than driving your own car. If you do that you’ll never see the views because you have to pay attention to keep from going over the side on that tiny road as it goes up to and over Logan Pass. The “Red Bus” drivers give you lots of historical information, which Craig says may or may not be exactly accurate (depending on what the driver was doing the night before). Knowing Craig, I can only imagine!
Having been on a few “Red Bus” tours as we’ve traveled through here I’m staying off them this year and I’m using the free shuttle to go to Logan Pass. Pick up is just a short hop from our door. Nice. As always, or so it seems, there’s lots of cloud cover at the top of the pass and the air is cold, even though it’s no higher than our campground in the Tetons. I was thinking of hiking to Hidden Lake but the trail is slushy and icy. Some other time, thank you.
We are seeing a lot of kayaks this summer and, as I mentioned before, we’re drooling just a bit when we see them on the water. The folks across from us have two and are camping with another couple who have two. We’re just a stone’s throw (whatever that is) from the water’s edge so this is a great campground for kayakers.
Tonight, before they brought the kayaks off the water they came looking for Ron and offered him a spin. He loved it. Now, we love it. That’s what always gets us going…the thought of another project. Let’s see, Ron has it broken down mathematically: LD + CRV + 2K + $ = FUN and everyone needs a little FUN in their lives, right? We can rationalize the “need” for anything!
We’ll be leaving Glacier soon so this afternoon I’m hiking to Avalanche Lake. Last year I hiked to the lake early in the day and there was lots of cloud cover so I’m hoping things will be nice and clear this afternoon. It’s a great uphill hike along Avalanche Creek to a cirque, now Avalanche Lake, created by glaciers.
The snowpack has been huge this year and the waterfalls are flowing from the tops of the mountains.
That's some pretty cool glacial water.
I always like a photo or two of the little guys.
I’ve been sitting up here for an hour, enjoying the view and serenity of this place, and hoping that the sun would come out for a bit. It’s trying but it’s time for me to head back down. I don’t want Ron sending out the posse.
The trail takes me through lots of good grizzly and black bear habitat as I leave Avalanche Lake. They love the green stuff that grows along the avalanche slopes on either side of Avalanche Creek. I’ll sing a tune…that should keep them away! Just in case that doesn’t work I have bear spray. I know what I should do on the rare chance I encounter a bear but I sure hope I can stay steady and not spray the bear until it’s within 30’. Oops, forgot the tape measure.
The trail soon goes through the forests where you can see the trees toppled from the avalanches.
Down I go to catch the shuttle. I’ll sleep well tonight!
We were up early this morning as we are heading south to the Gallatin River, not too far from Yellowstone. It’s a bit of a drive but I don’t mind. As I walked the dogs, I noticed the sun just starting to peek over the mountains and shine on Lake McDonald. The mist was just starting to rise off the water.
There wasn’t a ripple on the water as we headed out. On the road again!
1 comment:
We ALWAYS drool over your photos, Jane, but none more so than those with reflections in the lake. Just gorgeous....
If Ron really gets the notion to get a kayak (but it will have to be none or two, won't it?)I can put you in touch with a friend who designed a lift and brackets for carrying two on his 23-foot Lazy Daze. Watercraft opens up a whole new universe of fishing access, Ron!!!
Keep blogging, please!
Post a Comment