You can tell I'm doing the catch up thing on this blog. It's plain to see we're just having too much fun with our many friends, who are traveling through here, to be sitting at a computer. Gil and Nancy and Elvis, the King, mini poodle, arrived first. They're our travel buddies from NV. We were lucky to have them spend time with us in AZ this spring and it's always fun to be together. They were returning from Montana and stopped here on the way home for a bit. Next our MN friends, Dave and Sandy, came to visit in their brand new Lazy Daze. We had traveled the northwest with them in their '05 Lazy Daze, like our '06, and then they switched to a big class A (or two) while they full-timed. Now they're back to having a stick house and a Lazy Daze again! It's good to have them back in the cult. We've missed seeing them over the last two years. They'll be in AZ this winter so things will be back to normal again.
We had a mini Lazy Daze group gathering here in the Tetons.
We all have a grand time together and our chefs prepare some really good meals.
Gil, Nancy, and I hiked to Heron Pond one day while they were here but all too soon they were on their way home. We miss them. Dave and Sandy were staying for a while so we also got in a little hiking. One morning I rode my bike to String Lake (my usual route) and Ron, Sandy, and Dave timed their arrival to String Lake, in the two motorhomes, to match my arrival. I love this route and always pull into the Jenny Lake overlook just for a minute or two on the way. You can see why I like to stop here.
There's nothing like a nice picnic lunch in the pines. Why does food always taste better when you eat outdoors? It just does.
I had secured my bike to the rig and changed to hiking clothes before our picnic so I was ready for a hike. Ron, Sandy, Dave, and I hiked along String Lake to Leigh Lake. These nice flat hikes are a pleasant change from up the mountain hiking...a walk in the park, so to speak.
As we hiked along the lake we could see an animal darting along the shoreline through the underbrush. Luckily, the couple hiking in front of us were watching it too. The wife had the camera and the husband was the spotter. I stuck close. Finally it came out in the open for a quick moment...what is it we all asked?
When we got back to camp I put the photo on my computer and thought it might be a marten. I've never seen one before but I'd seen a picture of one a while back. My friend, Stephania, stopped by for happy hour and she confirmed that is what we saw. She had seen one last week while hiking and had asked a ranger what it was. He said it's a Pine Marten. I googled Pine Marten later and sure enough it looked just like the one we had seen. Cool!
Dave, Sandy, and Ron enjoy a little break at Leigh Lake.
Where's your kayak, Dave? This is the entry to Leigh Lake when you portage your canoe or kayak from String Lake.
It's a fabulous lake to kayak with no motorized boats allowed. I think I may be repeating myself here but that's nothing new. The joys of being a senior citizen.
Two gals came up while we were there and put their kayaks in the water and took off for an afternonn of fun. I'm jealous!
On the way back from the Leigh Lake portage we crossed the bridge between Leigh and String Lakes and explored the trail to the Paintbrush Canyon trailhead. Looks like I'll have a great hike when Ahmad and Carol return from Yellowstone in a week or so. He's already told me it's our next adventure. Rest up, Jane.
A formal portrait of Dave and Sandy. Lookin' good.
A formal portrait of our two homes on wheels. The new; the classic. Lookin' good.
After our hike I headed back on my bike. I think I need some of that instant tan stuff. Those legs don't see the sun much.
Hey Sandy, put that camera down and keep your hands on the wheel. That's me you're about to run over!
No comments:
Post a Comment