Monday, August 16, 2010

Mount Rainier National Park, WA 6-7


Now this is a big sign, worthy of a big mountain, Mount Rainier. I think the name is very appropriate as we arrived once again in the rain. It truly is Rain...ier here!




We settled into our campsite in the park. As evening approached the rain stopped and we could see a glimpse of Mount Rainier.








The next morning we had brilliant sunshine and we hurried to get on the road before the weather changed its mind.



We crossed this beautiful stream on the way to Paradise. Paradise is world famous for its beautiful views of Mount Rainier and its wildflower meadows. Ron couldn't resist climbing down to catch a photo of Christine Falls underneath the bridge.


There was Mount Rainier in all its beauty with nary a cloud in the sky. Ally's eyes twinkled at the sight of all that snow. I don't think we'll see any wildflowers this trip. That's an eleven foot snowpack. Mount Rainier is considered to be the most dangerous of the Cascade volcanoes with its ability to generate massive debris flows that can reach the margin of Puget Sound south of Seattle. It is the highest of the Cascade volcanoes and it has the largest glacial system. It is considered an active volcano and scientists expect it to erupt within the next few hundred years.


There goes our blue sky. In no time the clouds developed and it looked like we might have snow before long. Ally thought hiking the mountain looked like fun.


When I see snow I know at some point there will be a snowball coming my way!





I'm safe. No gloves. Cold fingers. No more snowballs. Yea!




Ally goes back to trudging up the mountain. Next time I think we need snowshoes. It's really hard to walk without them.








Time for a little rest.



That's the visitor center. Look at that sky. It's time to do the Junior Ranger program and listen to a Ranger talk. Don't want to get snowed upon in our RV!



Ranger Brett checks Ally's workbook.






Ally takes her Junior Ranger pledge.





Another job well done. Another patch and another night of sewing for Grandma!



The Nisqually Glacier sits high on the mountain.




We cross over the Nisqually River as we head back to our campground.


Ally is to help Pop get the fire ready but she's found something interesting in the newspaper. When Ron and I used to hang wallpaper together I was forever reading the old newspapers rather than doing my job of putting paste on the paper. I used to drive him nuts and still do. It's a talent and it looks like it's a genetic trait!


Watch those fingers, Pop!


This one was a tough one to get started but we had to do it. S'more night. We barely had enough hot coals to cook three marshmallows but we managed to do it.

1 comment:

Marla said...

I just caught up on all your posts. So many beautiful places to visit in the U.S. west and you seem to be hitting most of them! Great pics and it looks like Ally is once again enjoying her quality time with grandpa and grandma. Continue having fun on your adventure!