
Jane here:
Yesterday we traveled from Redstone, CO through Basalt, CO to Frying Pan Road along the Frying Pan River not too far from Aspen. It’s really hard to describe the beauty along that river. Lots of red Sedona type stone. I thought, oh no, here we go again with the red dirt and white dog. Wrong, it’s brown dirt, where we are camping, and white dog. The river below the Reudi Reservoir is Gold Medal trout water. There were many pull offs for the fly fishermen and I could see Ron drooling as we drove by. Our campground, Chapman, is in the White River National Forest (like Redstone) and is about 15 miles on the other side of the reservoir where the river runs wild and free. Our campsite is very remote. The closest persons to us are the camp hosts and they are about a mile away. It felt strange to be so far from civilization at first but now it feels great. We left our curtains open last night and you could see the sky covered with stars. The river is about 100’ from us down a path through the woods. The satellite is not up and running so I'm just blogging on Word. With the dense pines and aspen it’s a little challenging to get to the southern sky for the satellite connection. We do have solar so the computer will run but no internet. There is no cell phone connection. We’re just here! Ron, I think, was feeling like this might not be a good fishing spot since below the dam where the water is controlled is the best spot, however, after stepping into the river he caught two trout immediately followed by three more in less than a half hour. I figure I won’t see him the rest of the day so I’d blog a little………SMACK!......YUK!
JET here:
(If you don’t know me you have to start at the beginning). The last two travel days have been rough with the mountain roads. She likes those no shoulder two lane roads that go up and down. Have to admit when I could get my head up the scenery was something. I see she’s slipping into her everything’s great mode. Did she tell you that there are 1000 mosquitoes per square inch at this campground? When we pulled into camp last night it looked like someone put out the word that tender vittles were here. Actually she just smashed one in her hand and that’s how I got on the computer. She doesn’t share well and she doesn’t want you to know about all their screw ups. They had another little goof the other day. Ron asked Jane to open the faucet in the kitchen to relieve the pressure so he could disconnect the water hose. She didn’t have the sense to shut it off. He went into the bathroom to do something and realized there wasn’t any water pressure so he turned on the water pump and returned to the bath. Guess what comes out of an open faucet…….WATER… and the sink was blocked off for travel by a cutting board so guess where all the WATER WENT? By the time the smart one came in and saw the water pouring out of the faucet the water had run behind the stove and down into a carpeted inside storage area to an outside storage area where it was caught by a bucket. It’s a good thing they had all that stuff they blew $$$ on at Camping World because they needed the 12V fan to dry out that carpeting. Why do I tell you this? I’m hoping that before they travel again they’ll read my sage comments and not make the same mistakes twice. Fat chance! Did she tell you the Denver looks like a brown Weimerauner (sp.) you know big brown dog. Brea lays around in the wildflowers and her belly is grey. I don’t think it is supposed to look like that.
Denver here: Life is good, good, good. The best thing is I’m covered in dirt and they can’t do a thing about it. You see they are doing something called boondocking. No electric, no water (no bath!), no sewer hookup so they have to be really careful about wasting water. Yeah, I‘m gonna go roll again. Brea looks really cool in dirt. Had a great morning. Got to sit in my favorite place, my Mom’s lap. We just sat there for a hour or so watching the hummingbirds and butterflies working those wildflowers. I don’t know why Brea doesn’t like to cuddle. It’s the best. I can bark here if I want because if no one is around to hear me I must not be making noise. Right? On the other hand what’s the point of barking if you can’t shake up the neighbors. Even though no one knows where they are I am keeping a close eye on my Mom and Dad so I know where they are all the time. That’s all that matters. I wish my good friends Hannah and Murphy were with me. This is way too much fun.
Jane’s back: The mosquitoes, much to my surprise, are not man eaters. I have only 1 bite from those many pests and they are silent. No buzzing around my head. Yes, it’s a little chilly in the morning but you have to sleep with the ceiling vents open so you can see the stars and hear the river. You just stay under the covers a little longer. We just do brunch now instead of breakfast.
Life is simple. Absolutely no schedule and no guilt over all the things you're not doing.
Off to find Ron and toss him an apple. That’s lunch! Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment