Today Ally and I have taken the shuttle boat across Jenny
Lake one way. We’re going to hike to
Inspiration Point and then on into Cascade Canyon if Ally isn’t too worn out
after her climb to the point. We have to
save a little energy for the hike back around the southern end of the
lake. The shuttle heads back to the
marina at Jenny Lake to pick up its next group of hikers.
Our first stop is Hidden Falls. I photograph it every time I
come up here. It’s a challenge. Some turn out better than others. From here we cross the creek and head up to
Inspiration Point. This is a popular
tourist area. The crowds thin out as we
head higher. A lot of people get nervous
about walking along a narrow trail with a sharp drop off. Most folks turn around at Hidden Falls if
they don’t like heights and of those that continue to Inspiration Point few go
on into Cascade Canyon. That suits me
just fine.
Ally loves to climb as we found out the first time we
visited Arches National Park. She has no
fear of heights or narrow trails. That’s
a good thing. She’s on her way up.
Getting close.
Made it.
Be inspired!
We’re now headed into Cascade Canyon. I hiked this trail to the junction with the
North Fork Cascade and South Fork Cascade trails last October with
Shannon. The colors in the canyon were
amazing. I guess Ally will have to be
all grown up before she’ll see that as she’s always in school that time of
year. The shuttle boat had shut down for
the season the day before Shannon and I hiked the canyon. That gave us a nice 14 mile hike roundtrip
that day rather than the 7 we’ll do today.
I think Ally is glad that shuttle was there today to bring us across the
lake at least one way
This is just a bit different from fall hiking. We’re seeing lots of snow, especially in
avalanche areas. It’s a little slick so
I’m glad today we brought our hiking sticks.
Last fall the trail was dry and the leaves were changing.
Cascade Creek is roaring through the canyon, full with
runoff from the slowly melting mountain snow.
Last fall it calmly meandered through the canyon.
Rocks to climb...
...slippery snow...what could be more fun?
The peaks of the Tetons loom high overhead as we hike.
This is a pretty amazing place that Ally is seeing for the
first time.
We’ve come to a spot I know I photographed last fall. I think I’ll check out that photo when I get
back.
This is a gorgeous place in all seasons. I’ll definitely hike this trail again this fall.
It’s about time to turn around. We have a long hike yet to do around the
lake. Next time we’ll take the shuttle
both ways and hike Cascade Canyon to Solitude Lake...maybe. That would be a 14 mile round trip with a bit
of elevation climb. It’s doable.
We need just one more stop on the way back to practice that
flat footed skiing.
The wind has picked up and the patterns it’s making on Jenny
Lake are beautiful from Inspiration Point.
Plenty of energy left.
She’s becoming a real hiker!
Down we go to the...
...shoreline of Jenny Lake.
Now, we have the hike around the southern half of the lake, a little over 2
miles, and a short drive home for dinner.
Do you think Pop has something planned?
We’re hungry!
No comments:
Post a Comment