Sunday, July 15, 2012

6-18-2012 Into Death Canyon (sounds a bit spooky!)


Here’s that photo of Phelps Lake and Death Canyon that showed up in an earlier blog.  Today, we’re hiking into Death Canyon and up to the patrol cabin.  We’ve left from the Death Canyon trail head that takes us to a magnificent view of Phelps from its end near Death Canyon.  It’s a beautiful morning.
Ally’s first hike this summer took her around the lake.  I think from this point of view she’s pretty impressed by that first hike.  Now, she’s ready for her first serious test of elevation climb. This one will get your heart beating and your lungs talking to you.
The trail goes down,...
...then up through the wildflowers, and...
...around as we rise further into the canyon above Phelps Lake.  Phelps Lake formed in a lateral moraine, one that forms on the edge of a glacier. Jenny Lake, unlike Phelps, formed in a terminal moraine at the front edge of a glacier that carved Cascade Canyon.
Ally has spotted something on the trail ahead.
There’s a marmot sunning itself on a rock.  That’s one of their favorite things to do.
I think this marmot likes posing for the camera.
Thanks for being so cooperative.  Usually the marmots run off before I get my camera out of its bag.
Death Canyon is Shannon’s favorite canyon in the park.  I can see why.  The scenery is magnificent.  The name is a bit foreboding but my friend, Phyllis, tells me it was named Death Canyon after a prospector died here many years ago.   It’s easy to see how that could happen.  The sheer walls of the canyon are towering high above us.  This trail is the oldest in the park.  It dates from the 1920’s. 
We really know how to make every day a great day.
The trail now travels on a narrow shelf.
We pick our way through the boulders.
I can only imagine the sound of the avalanche that sent these boulders crashing down the mountainside. 
The trail widens for just a bit.
Now it’s back to walking on the edge...carefully!
The sound of rushing water from snow melt fills the canyon.
Death Creek is thundering down the mountain below us.
This picturesque spot is the perfect place for our “dining out, our style” eatery of the day.  Try matching this view at your local restaurant.  We do have to admit that the seating can be a little firm but the views can’t be beat. 
After lunch we pause a bit to soak in the beauty.
Looking back, we can see Phelps Lake in the distance through the canyon.
We’ve climbed further up the canyon.  It’s time for another short break.
We were within a mile of the patrol cabin when it started to drizzle.  With the bright sunny skies this morning and no prediction of rain I had failed to think of bringing rain jackets.  That’s a big no, no!  The mountains make their own weather and the higher you climb the more you see of it.  I know better.  It’s time I start making a check list for hiking to remind me of what I need to bring.  I must be getting old and forgetful.  Even day hikes can turn sour without the right gear.  We decided to turn around and head back down.  We didn’t want to get wet and then cold. 
We had reached the point where Death Creek was just a meandering creek through a meadow before its plunge into the canyon.  Once it runs over that first drop it roars all the way to Phelps Lake.
We hustled down the canyon to outrun the rain.
The views heading back toward the lake were spectacular.  We had to stop and then look.  Look at the scenery or watch where you’re walking on this narrow trail.  You can’t do both at the same time.
Ah, out of the rain.  Time for a break.
A peek around the corner shows us another rock hugging marmot. 
This little guy is shy.  No photo, please.  This has been a 6 marmot day for Ally.  That’s definitely a record for us.  I wonder if we’ll see that many when we return in a few weeks to hike all the way to the patrol cabin...with our raincoats this time.  Ally says we have to make our goal.  That’s good thinking!  We’ll do it!

1 comment:

Marla said...

Another great post and beautiful pictures, Jane. I am so jealous of your travels to all this beauty. Keep enjoying your time out of the heat and with your granddaughter. Love ya, Marla