Sunday, July 15, 2012

6-5-12 Mama Moose and Baby


When we did our first bike ride the other day we stopped at Taggart Lake trail head to peer down on Mama Moose who was recovering from the birth of her baby.





A couple of days later we were out bear hunting one evening (in our car) with Ally and our friends, Phyllis and Noel, who have arrived to spend time in this beautiful place.  Everyone knows if you’re looking for animals you won’t see them.  It’s the old “watched pot” thing. No bears showed their fuzzy faces. On our way back to camp, late in the evening around 9 p.m., we stopped to see if  Mama Moose was still there.  Sure enough, she was.  Both she and the baby were standing and doing moose things.  


I decided to see if I could capture them with my camera.  They were so cute together.





I’m really glad I managed to photograph them, albeit not well, in the dim light.  That night I worried that the little one was going to fall into the river or make it to the road only to be hit by a car.  Sadly, I learned a couple of days later that the 2 year old son of Bear 399 (a well known Grand Teton grizzly) had tracked this little one down to have for dinner, but not as an invitee.  Puts things in perspective when you think you’ve had a bad day!

No comments: