Sunday, July 15, 2012

6-6-2012 Looking for bears and hoping we don’t see one on Grand View trail


When Ally and I did our bike ride to String Lake 3 days ago we stopped at the Jenny Lake ranger station.  I wanted to check to see if there were any areas of the park we should avoid due to bear activity.  I knew that the sows were out with their new cubs and surprising them is not something you want to do.  The ranger kindly told me of two areas we might want to stay clear of for a bit.  When our hiking friend, Shannon, picked us up this morning for today’s adventure she said we were going to hike the Grand View trail, a 6 mile roundtrip from Jackson Lake Lodge.  You guessed it.  That was one of the two trails the ranger had mentioned.  Shannon has worked and hiked in the park for many years so I figured with three of us we were safe.  I must not have had enough coffee to fully wake up this morning so naturally I forgot my bear spray and our hiking poles.  It’s amazing how our minds toy with us.  We started off and when I realized I had forgotten my spray and sticks I was really nervous about having Ally with us.  I figure no bear really wants to eat me…way too tough, but Ally???  How would I explain that one to her parents?  When I have my spray and sticks I feel totally at ease. I’ll be able to fend off the angriest bear.  Do you really think that’s going to make a difference if we encounter an annoyed bear?    The experts (who probably have stock in the spray company) say it will, so I keep telling myself we’ll be just fine.   I won’t forget my spray again.  
We’ve left the Jackson Lake Lodge area and are on our way to those hills in the distance.  We’ll see how Ally does with a bit of elevation climb today.
The early part of our hike takes us through the sages, the meadows, and pines.  The shades of green are beautiful in the morning light.  Of course, I keep thinking the dead tree stumps are bears grazing in the meadows.  Shannon and Ally are laughing at nervous Grandma.  Shannon has bear spray and she’s in front.  I’m just hanging back to photograph the action.
As we climb higher, the Tetons come in to view. 
My hiking buddies, Ally and Shannon. 
There’s a bit of a climb to the top.  Ally’s pushing a bit out of her comfort zone.  She’s determined to keep up and is doing a great job.  Those photo ops we take are important rest breaks.
We love hiking with Shannon.  She knows the area well and we learn as we hike.  It’s like having our own personal guide. As we look to the west we are overlooking Jackson Lake, where we kayaked last year, at the base of the Tetons. 
If we turn and look to the east we see Two Ocean Lake.  The night we went bear hunting we drove to Two Ocean on a gravel road (did I say, “I love my Subaru) and ended at the opposite end of the lake in this view.  That was a stormy, cold, and windy evening.   The lake had white caps.  There was a single kayaker getting ready to take off on the lake.  We all thought he was nuts.  By the time he made it to the water it had to be dark.  The lake looks like a magnificent kayaking lake but I think we’ll do it on some nice, warm, still morning.
We’ll be “dining out, our style” at this spot.  It’s Shannon’s favorite place in the park.  The hike and the views have been so magnificent that I’ve forgotten about the bears.
I think Ally is beginning to understand how special these places are…
… and how lucky we are to be able to enjoy them.
We hike in layers:  clothes on; clothes off.  If you sit for a while you get cool.  If you climb a hill you get hot.
We like this photo of Shannon at her favorite place.  Now we’re off to hike just a short distance to Grand View Point.
Here it is and it’s not quite as “grand” as Shannon’s favorite place.  The trees must have grown and blocked the view since this point was named.  This may be Grand View Point but Shannon’s place we’ve named  “Grandest View Point”.
It’s time to head for home. ..downhill most of the way.
If I were a bear I’d like to hang out here too.
Whoa, careful!
Back through the meadow.
On through the sage.
We’ve arrived back at the corral at Jackson Lake.  Ally loves horses and would love to go for a trail ride.  We’ve been hesitant to do this as she had a severe allergic reaction to horses many years ago.  Hmmm, here’s the corral and there’s an emergency clinic here as well.  I think we’ll come visit the horses tomorrow to see if she still has a problem after being on allergy shots for a couple of years.
To top off a great day of hiking we’ve stopped at the grill at the lodge for a little snack.  There are beautiful restaurants here but this is one of our favorite spots.  We like sitting at the counter and the onion rings are the best I’ve ever had.  So what’s wrong with a little vegetable and dairy? We shared a tasty hot fudge sundae.  It came down to dueling spoons for that last bite.  Ally won!
The next day we did go back to the corral.  Ally took an antihistamine before we left and I brought along the Epi pen I carry when Ally is with us.  I explained to the staff that we wanted to do an allergy test in a safe location.  If she passed we’d be signing up for a trail ride.  They were fabulous.  They brought out a horse for Ally to hang out with for an hour to see if she would have a reaction. 
She and the horse enjoyed every minute of the time she was able to be there.  Sure enough, after a half-hour she started to sneeze and then her throat felt itchy.  The test worked but it’s one she failed.  She knows it will be a while longer before she might be able to be near horses again.  We stopped in at the clinic but they said they would just observe her for an hour so we decided to head for home.  We kept the epi pen ready as we drove back to camp.  After another round of antihistamine and a shower to remove any traces of horse and she was back to normal.
She never napped after the heavy doses of antihistamine.  I think she was determined to stay awake as Shannon was stopping by for our first S’more night.  Our wonderful next door neighbors, Debbie and Len, had given us a sack full of great Trader Joe’s goodies for our trip the night before we left home. 
We all agreed they were the best S’mores we’d ever had.  It was the Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Grahams that did the trick.  Outstanding!    The closest Trader Joe’s is near Las Vegas.  How, oh how, are we going to make our S’mores without those crackers?  They will never be the same!

No comments: