Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Good friends, good wine, and peanut butter and jelly???




Today (Monday Aug. 7) has been a great day. We moved to the Gallatin River canyon area yesterday. There’s over 60 miles of the beautiful Gallatin River (yep, that’s where they filmed “A River Runs Through It”) that runs along the main road to Bozeman from West Yellowstone, MT. Our campsite backs up to the river, however, the road is busy morning till night so there’s much traffic noise. This morning I was lamenting the fact that all was not peace and quiet even though we were on this beautiful river and that it was cloudy with a few raindrops. I’m getting spoiled. Did I say getting? Ron was readying his gear to go fishing when a truck pulled up and the gentleman asked us about the campground. He and his wife and the two of us started chatting and before we knew it we’d become great friends. They were camping closer to Bozeman. Ron and Mike went fly fishing together. Mary Jo and I had a grand time enjoying the great outdoors and finding out how many things we had in common. As with Sandy and Dave from MN, who we met two years ago at the Lazy Daze factory, it felt like we had known Mary Jo and Mike for 30 years. We really knew they were our kind of people when we were ready for lunch. Ron and I haven’t shopped in two weeks. We’re waiting to get to Bozeman to do the Walmart, Costco, thing on Wednesday when we pick up Lu Ann so we’re a little short on our food supply. Being the extremely hospitable folks that we are we offered them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a little Kendall Jackson to go with. They had some trail mix and we had a gourmet lunch. Now that’s the way to entertain guests!

After lunch the guys went back fishing and I was doing my photography thing. I must apologize to our loyal blog watchers. I missed the big one. No, not the fish. Ron. I had just walked up from the river when Ron comes up behind me soaking wet. He had an image of himself as being seven feet tall and tried to step up and down over a boulder. Oops! In he went. Fortunately the well insured hearing aids are still with us. Not so ambitious next time Big Boy!

So, what’s to like about RVing? So many things. But one of the best is meeting great people you know you’ll see again.

Mike and Mary Jo – see you in Scottsdale in February! You’re famous! Everyone wants to be on this blog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Just checking in to see if "wandering Lu" has arrived safely...and, more importantly, if you managed to tear yourselves away from the amazing Gallatin River scenery to go and get her! Don't know where you are at the moment, or for how long, but when Marc and I honeymooned at Rainbow Ranch Lodge (May, 2000 in Big Sky), we found a local hangout with great food (at that time, anyway) called The Coral. It's directly across the road from Rainbow Ranch. They have (had) great buffalo steaks and the BEST blueberry pancakes - not served together, of course. If you are interested, don't be turned away by the neon beer signs and pick-up trucks out front. We loved it!!!