Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9-16 Rocky Mountain High - oh yeah baby!


Well, we're back to our home in the big mountains. I guess I should say our "temporary" home in the big mountains. With a house on wheels it's always that way. We're in Rocky Mountain National Park to hear the elk bugle and watch Fall start to arrive. Our first stop was at Aspenglen Campground on the Fall River. It's a beautiful small campground surrounded by the high mountains. I'm glad we stopped there because once again we met some great folks who love to hike, Lucy and Bill. Lucky for me that they don't mind a tag-a-long hiker. We've now moved over to Morraine Campground. It's a busier place but sits in magnificent Morraine Park, a beautiful meadow, where the elk hang out and the snow capped mountains dominate.

At night, when we walk the dogs, you can hear the elk calling and the heads banging. It's time to impress the ladies! From here you can catch a free Shuttle to the many trailheads. We have a couple of big hikes planned.....


Lucy and Bill led the way to Loch Vale, a beautiful high alpine lake in the park. This was a warmup 6 mile+ hike for the one the next day of 9+ miles.

Bill has joined a very exclusive group of Flying Fish fly fishermen. Let me see...there is Ron, Dave, Gil, and now Bill. You're in fine company. It's always dangerous to have me tagging along with a camera. I look at this as documenting the membership of this popular club. Not everyone can catch a flying fish that lands in a tree.

There's a limit to catching Flying Fish. Only 1 is allowed so you have to return to regular ole fly fishing. Don't these photos make you want to learn to fly fish? It's a beautiful thing to watch.


I think the fish think that too. They often watch in this super clear water and say "No thanks".


I wish Ron's hip were working as I know he would have loved to spend some time at this lake.

We were a little late coming off the mountain but we managed to catch the last shuttle. It was dusk and as we traveled on the shuttle we encountered a slight road block - as in total block of both lanes. This big buck had both lanes stopped with no way around. He was telling his ladies to hustle - they were going to be late. They, grazing in the meadow beside the road, totally ignored him - a woman's perogative. He finally gave up and joined them. It's a woman's world!

No comments: