Tuesday, September 09, 2008

9-3 Mount Rushmore


Many years ago I asked our grandson, Cody, now 16, what was one of the best places he had been. He had traveled a bit at that time and I was sure he would say Yellowstone. But, no, he said “Mount Rushmore”. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even remember that conversation but I never forgot it. I figured if it impressed a young boy it must be something, and it is.

If anyone were to ask us what to see in this great country I’d have to tell them that we have a list of what we consider
“must sees” and Mount Rushmore is now there.


The museum does a wonderful job of telling the story of the sculpting of Mount Rushmore between 1927 and 1941 with dynamite and jackhammers as the major tools. What do you see when you look at a mountain? The sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, had amazing vision when he looked at this blank slate.




Hope someday you'll visit Mount Rushmore. It's amazing and worth the trip!

No comments: