Tuesday, September 09, 2008

9-3 Through the Black Hills to Mt. Rushmore we go…


We’re now at Game Lodge campground in Custer State Park. The park is a wonderland of forests, meadows, lakes, wildlife, campgrounds and trails. It is beautiful and so big – 71,000 acres! Game Lodge campground is a short walking distance from State Game Lodge, the summer “White House” of Calvin Coolidge in 1927. We’ve noticed that there’s a bit of rain and cloud cover in this area. A small shock to our systems but we’re adjusting.

Our trip through the park to Mount Rushmore (if you blow up the first picture by clicking on it you will see Mount Rushmore on the upper left corner of the rock face in the distance) took us along Iron Mountain Road, a twisty, turny,

up and down road, where we encountered lots of wildlife, beautiful views of the Black Hills, and the three tunnels that showcase Rushmore as you drive through them. (You'll have to click on the tunnel photo to see the faces.)

The tunnels are small and tight so we were glad to have Dave’s truck rather than our Lazy Daze on this drive. I know I could have made it though!

They have three pigtail bridges to drop the road in elevation quickly without cutting switchbacks.


The ingenuity that existed in 1933 is amazing.


Our return trip from Mount Rushmore to the campground took us along the Needles Highway. Just like threading a needle!


Now you know if he can do it I can do it! I'm just glad I didn't have to travel the tunnels of this highway. Thanks for driving Dave.

No comments: