hat, rain jacket, and off we go on our big 9+ mile hike from the Bear Lake trailhead to Lake Helene, Odessa Lake, Fern Lake and back to camp. It's a bit of a climb to almost 11,000 feet. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I CAN!
It's a short climb to beautiful Bear Lake. Ron and I had hiked around this lake a month after his quad bypass in '05 just to test his new equipment. It's a really nice hike and a great one for the not so serious hiker. From there we started climbing to Lake Helene, close to 11,000 feet - not the place to go for a casual stroll.
Lucy and Bill led the way as we climbed through the forests along the rocky trail.
We crossed huge boulder fields.
Before hiking into Lake Helene we took a little time to enjoy the amazing views from the top of the boulders above Helene and Odessa. Lucy is not crazy about heights so she stayed well grounded.
Bill wandered over the boulders with no fear while.....
I wandered over the rocks (gingerly)looking for that perfect photo op with Lake Helene way below me in the background. I think I want to be remembered like this. Fearless adventurer standing on the edge of a cliff. Yeah right! It's a good thing still photos can't capture legs shaking.
Lake Helene is a beauty with great reflections of the glacier that sits above it and the fall colors starting to show here in the mountains. We didn't stay long as we had a long way to go and the clouds were starting to build in the west.
I think we were expecting the going to be a bit easier as we started the long trek down but that wasn't the case. The trail grew more narrow and rocky with sheer drop offs. Got my attention! I sure was glad I had brought two hiking sticks or I think I'd still be on that mountain. (Thanks Sharon and Marla for the advice!)
I'm not kidding. I mean rocky! That sure takes your average speed down a bit. Hope we get in before dark! We're going by Odessa Lake but from way above. On to Fern Lake.
As we approached Fern Lake there were massive boulder fields but here they were covered with lichen of many colors. It was as if someone had spray painted the lichen on the rocks.
Fern Lake was our rest stop and time for Lucy's fine vittles - pb and j on my very favorite, raisin bread. Warms the soul and gets those feet moving again. At this point we were starting to watch the clouds turn a bit stormy and as always we still had a ways to go.
We passed this waterfall after Fern Lake. We've seen a lot of falls in our travels but this one intrigued me. Can you imagine what it sounds like here after a heavy storm or during spring run off?
The clouds followed us home. We heard rumbles but thankfully it stayed behind us. I think it was there just to make sure we hustled and got home before dark. Thanks Bill and Lucy for two days of fabulous hiking that I wouldn't have done without you. Hope we see you in the Tetons for some flyfishing next year or soon thereafter (and a little hike or two).
1 comment:
I found your web site thru Marla, Granny Nanny....
Thanks for the vacations, I love your photo trip,
keep up the good work.....texashawks.blogspot.com
Post a Comment