Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fotographer to the Fish!

Today is Thursday, July 20. I know this because we have the computer and an atomic wall clock. Otherwise we'd have no idea what day it is. I think that is a good thing. I didn't bring my watch and Ron's watch broke a couple of weeks ago. This is the way to live. We've been here at Rex Hale NFS Campground 15 miles from the east entrance to Yellowstone since Monday. There are only 4 other rigs here so we've had the place to ourselves all week. I love it when we don't have to pull the shades at night. We go to sleep under this huge canopy of stars from horizon to horizon. We are truly by ourselves as we are dry camping - no hookups as in water, electricity, etc. We've become quite accomplished in conservative water usage. There are a few sites with electric here so the other three rigs are there. Our AZ blood lets us do without A/C when it's near 90. The no TV thing is wonderful. We've run into quite a few folks where one or the other must have their TV. We've turned ours on once on a rainy day in Steamboat Springs. We turned it off after 15 minutes. Same negative news on every station. There's a beautiful breeze here all day and the nights cool quickly so we've enjoyed it. The scenery is magnificent! This is another place we'll return to and stay for a couple of weeks.

Okay - now here's my beef. Ron left to walk down the hill to the river a few minutes ago and his parting instructions were to stand by the walkie talkie radio so if he catches the really big one (and he's been catching lots of big ones (18-21 inches) I can run down to the river with my camera to do the photo op thing. He thinks I'm Fotographer to the Fish! He even refers to this river, the north fork of the Shoshone River, as "his" river since there is no one else on it. I have housework to do, at least 5 minutes worth, and other important things to do like take a hike or blog and he wants me to "stand by". He is losing his perspective. On the other hand I know he's occupied till the sun comes down. What woman with a retired husband wouldn't love that? Eat your hearts out!

If you ever get to Cody, WY and if you love museums, I hope you will plan to spend a couple of days, or one at least, at the 5 museums that comprise the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. They are great and very different from ones you see in other parts of the country. The one dedicated to firearms is fascinating. The western art by Remington and Russell is wonderful to see. We were there last weekend and then came up here to the river and national forests again. Oh, there was an interesting
wall info marker in the firearm museum stating that the media moguls (the movie makers) portrayed the violent use of guns throughout the west in its early development and that is the image that many have of the early west. It then went on to explain that there was really very little violence and most gun use was for critter maintenance on farms, hunting, etc. Some things never change. The Sky is not falling here in Wyoming! Of course, if it were we wouldn't know without TV. I'm not sure I'd want to know. Better to enjoy each day and not spend too much time worrying about things we can't change. That's easy to do out here on the road.

There was another marker at a rest stop between Thermopolis and Cody in WY that talked about the rattlesnakes that inhabit that high desert area. Some of you know I'm kind of fascinated by snakes. These rattlers hibernate for about 8 months and when they come out of their dens they travel in a straight line, guided by the sun, until they reach a food source. Then they return to the same den when it's time to hibernate again. Fascinating, huh? I wonder if our Diamondbacks and others do the same? Kathy Tyson where are you? You might know the answer. I remember one evening in May of this year when I was returning from Scott's house to ours and I saw three of them at half mile intervals crossing 68th going from west to east in a straight line. I wonder?

When we left AZ we were given some very valuable and useful gifts. We were able to share one of these gifts with a weary traveler the other day. There were two couples from Texas traveling with their big fifth wheels. In a week and 3 days they had traveled from San Antonio, TX to Carlsbad, NM to Mesa Verde, CO to Yellowstone,WY where they had spent 3 days. We ran into them in Thermopolis, WY. Now if you look at a map that is some major mileage in that little amount of time. One driver said he had never been so sore in his life and it wasn't a headache. I, of course, had to whip out the "Preparation H" that had been given to us by Lois and Art for our trip. He was ever so grateful as was his wife who now had wrinkle cream.

Life is Excellent on the Road! Must go tend to my "Fotographer to the Fish" duties. We're headed into Yellowstone on Sunday for a two week stay in that beautiful place. Enjoy today!

Sorry, no pics. Blogger is not working with photos today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. This does work and your log is wonderful. Thanks for the great time and will look forward to following you around the country.
We miss you guys already but the blog will help.
m&m