Saturday, July 21, 2007

Spit!





Now we’re up to date. Tonight, July 15, we’re coming to you from a beautiful county park located in the Dungeness Spit National Recreation Area and Wildlife Refuge. This is a sand spit that extends out along the Strait of Juan de Fuca on the northern edge of Washington above the Olympic National Park. 100’ from our site we can look over the water to see Victoria, British Columbia. We see the cruise ships and freighters as they sail the strait. It’s a gorgeous sight to see. The sunsets are beautiful and the Ocean Spray bushes cover the landscape. I wish we had time to take the 11 mile round trip hike to the lighthouse at the end of the spit at low tide. Doesn’t that sound like fun? My Dad always loved the sea and I could never understand why. After college at Georgia Tech in 1905 he joined the merchant marines, traveled the world’s waters with Standard Oil and then was career Navy, WWI, WWII. Now after spending the last couple of weeks traveling along the ocean, and tonight looking across this beautiful strait, I understand a little of how he felt. I’ve thought of him a lot these days and know that he would have loved it here.

No comments: