Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hitchhikers 6-8-08






We left Vallecito Lake today and the drive from Bayfield through Pagosa Springs, CO and Chama, NM on to the Conejas River in southern CO was magnificent and the best thing is that along the way we found our good friends, Gil and Nancy from Las Vegas, who are joining our road trip this summer for 6 weeks or so. Let the party begin. All I can say is I’m about out of olives! …… And, out of money! I am holding Gil personally responsible for my getting a new Nikon D60 camera and a new Nespresso Espresso machine to bring with me for my morning lattes. He convinced me that I couldn’t do without either. This is camping?

Charley is beside himself with joy as Gil is one of his very favorite people. The last time he saw Gil was April and we wondered if he would remember him. It was love at first sight in April and he never forgot.

We’re camped on the Conejas River and it is flowing fast and full from the snow runoff that is huge this year. There won’t be too much fishing until things quiet down a bit but that doesn’t mean that these guys won’t try to catch a few. This NFS campground, Aspen Glade, is a gem. The sites are beautiful with great privacy and “a room with a view” for Mom. The sound of the rushing water is ever present.

No comments: