For those who love the scenery of this great country Crater Lake National Park is a must see. Put it on your list and get here somehow. It has the WOW factor! We had seen photos of Crater Lake but were absolutely stunned by the magnificent blue color. It’s the bluest blue you will ever see. It’s an incredible sight created by the depth of the lake, the deepest in our nation at 1,943 feet. It was formed when Mt. Mazama erupted and collapsed on itself over 7,000 years ago and is a closed ecological system with no streams running into or out of the lake. Its water depth varies by less that 3’ per year – a balance between evaporation and rain, springs, and snow. Wizard Island is a volcano within a volcano. Fascinating don’t you think? I knew you would!
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Wow!
For those who love the scenery of this great country Crater Lake National Park is a must see. Put it on your list and get here somehow. It has the WOW factor! We had seen photos of Crater Lake but were absolutely stunned by the magnificent blue color. It’s the bluest blue you will ever see. It’s an incredible sight created by the depth of the lake, the deepest in our nation at 1,943 feet. It was formed when Mt. Mazama erupted and collapsed on itself over 7,000 years ago and is a closed ecological system with no streams running into or out of the lake. Its water depth varies by less that 3’ per year – a balance between evaporation and rain, springs, and snow. Wizard Island is a volcano within a volcano. Fascinating don’t you think? I knew you would!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jane, that blue color is unbelievable! I don't think I knew that any lake anywhere had no streams running in or out. Keep those beautiful pictures and educational facts coming.
Jim - you're right - unbelievable it is. I have never seen anything this blue and the photos are true in color. I think there should be a crayon called Crater Blue. No, on second thought they'd never match this color.
Post a Comment